Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tales From My Desk #2



Thought I'd share some info with everyone who has been following me so far. I figure I owe all of you some explanation of what I've been up to.

For some time now, I've been trying to track down that elusive muse.

The first book I uploaded to Kindle, Mr. Dead Eyes, has been selling steadily since its publication in January of 2010. I used to sell 10 copies a month. Now that number has been going down but it still remains my best seller out of all three books.

So why haven't I published anything in the last year and a half?

Many reasons.

Most pressing are the edits I'm currently working on for my second collection of short stories. Originally, I had hoped to have it ready by the end of 2011, staying true to my quota of one book a year. However, the edits are more extensive than I had planned. But they are crucial. And I've just been a bit lazy with it.

It takes me forever to edit a manuscript sometimes.

But I'm glad when I do.

I'm down to the last three stories that need reworking and a little TLC.

In between my long breaks of editing, I've been working on a number of projects. I recently finished another novella, started a dozen short stories and I'm also working on three separate novels. None are even near completion but I take a lot of joy in creating new stories.

Aside from publishing the collection as a whole, I've been thinking of publishing four stories by themselves on the Kindle for 99 cents each, an introductory offer for new readers.

Also, I'm planning on tweaking a few story points in Mr. Dead Eyes that just don't make sense. If I'm going to be writing the second book, I want to make sure I have all the important key elements that will be reintroduced in the sequel.

Also, I've been getting a couple of bad reviews on Wearing Donnie Torr while its been on the Kindle. This is largely due to its formatting. So, in an effort to correct it, I'm going to tweak the original PDF and try a re-upload. People have noted that the size of the font changes with each page.

How annoying is that for someone who wears glasses?

Put em on, take em off, put em on, take em off. Over and over again.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a collection of essays about my life. Included are a bunch of bizarre stories that my wife has told me I should write about. Like the time I got fired while wearing a Ghostbusters costume, or how I nearly got a role as an extra in The Dark Knight, or how I nearly lost my life while taking Driver's Ed in High School. So far there are 18 essays in all. Right now I'm working on one in which I got the part of Ebeneezer Scrooge in the school play. Hopefully this collection will come out sooner than the others. I've been getting a real kick out of writing non-fiction.

When I have time, I'd like to narrate an audiobook of both Wearing Donnie Torr and For What It's Worth and release them as podcasts on iTunes. I've also been looking for voice over work, eyeing four companies in particular.

To help encourage my daily writing, I've turned to the expert himself. I've been reading Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing. It's a really good read. Just the thing I needed.

So...yeah. I've been quite busy.

I don't want to promise anything but I will say that before the year is up the new collection will make an appearance on Kindle.

I also have 613 days to write Mr. Dead Eyes 2.

I haven't even started the research yet.

Plus I've gotten thirty plus emails on book reviews. I've wanted to give back for a long time. So I have to do 100 book reviews on Amazon for the rest of the year. I asked for it. But I'm happy about.

So I should have something for you guys soon.

Just hang in there.

:)


No comments: