Friday, October 2, 2009

Carly's Voice

The most enduring thing about writing is finding your voice. That's what I've come to understand over the years. It is not impossible to find it.


In august, on a night before I would return to my crappy graveyard shift job, I visited my girlfriend's house. Some time around 8pm we sat and watched this story on 20/20 about this girl who found her voice. Throughout my life, I have been inspired by people, friends, family, places, and traces of divine intervention. But this story that I saw was remarkable. It also told me that I had no excuses not to write. You wanna write? Sit in a chair and do it. All there is to it.

The girl they were talking about was Carly.

This is her story.


2 comments:

Jill said...

How true, how true! We all do have our voices as writers and really, the only way (sometimes) to find it is to sit in a chair and put something on paper (screen).

Nike slogans as writing inspriations: Just do it!

Cheers, Jill
www.jilledmondson.blogspot.com

Kimberly Steele said...

Hi Roberto! Thanks so much for following me! I just visited your site-so many coincidences. I work w/autistic kids and I LOVED the movie Silent Hill. Please join my forum and tell us about your audio novel plus the novel in the works!! I've got a sci-fi in the works too. http://foreverfifteen.com/ffworld