Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Notable Movies #5



It isn't surprising that some of the most successful authors out there are plagued with problems and become the neighbohorhood recluse. But what I like most about Nim's Island is how Jodie Foster portrays that paranoid reclusive writer in all of us. She writes out of the comfort of her apartment, second guesses herself and argues with her main character. To it's credit, Nim's island is a little cheesy but also fun. First PG movie I've seen in a long while. One scene I loved was when Jodie, as bestselling novelist Alexandria Rover, decides to leave her apartment for the first time in years. Once inside a taxi, she opens the door and vomits (don't worry, they don't show it.)

The cab driver says, "Lady, what's wrong?"
"Nothing. I just get motion sickness sometimes."
"But we're not moving."
"Well, it's really the idea of motion that sickens me."

I reccomend this movie to anyone who locks themselves away from the world in order to write. You might get a kick out of it. I know I did.

No comments: