Sunday, March 7, 2010

On Writing Persistently


Ray Bradbury is known for his best works: The Mutant Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Fahrenheit 451.

I've only read about 20 pages into Fahrenheit but I remember I was absolutely transported into a different world. I love the way this man writes. He's even written a book about writing called The Zen of Writing. Digging deeper, I found that Ray Bradbury is a man who has never stopped writing.



From Wikipedia:
He attributes his lifelong habit of writing every day to an incident in 1932 when a carnival entertainer, Mr. Electrico, touched him on the nose with an electrified sword, made his hair stand on end, and shouted, "Live forever!" It was from then that Bradbury wanted to live forever and decided his career as an author in order to do what he was told: live forever. It was at that age that Bradbury first started to do magic. Magic was his first great love. If he had not discovered writing, he would have become a magician.

The Bradbury family lived in Tucson, Arizona, in 1926–27 and 1932–33 as his father pursued employment, each time returning to Waukegan, but eventually settled in Los Angeles in 1934, when Ray was thirteen.

Bradbury graduated from the Los Angeles High School in 1938 but did not attend college. Instead, he sold newspapers at the corner of South Norton Avenue and Olympic Boulevard. In regard to his education, Bradbury said:

"Libraries raised me. I don’t believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries because most students don’t have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn’t go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years."



Below is a video, just to give you an idea of how this man works. Enjoy.

No comments: