Sunday, November 21, 2010

Doctor Who?


Fresh from writing a short story last night, I woke up early today to try to branch out and tackle another one. Woke up at close to nine in the morning. But as the morning charged on, my enthusiasm diminished. Blocked again. Always happens when I want to write a second day in a row. I overloaded myself, hyped myself up too much, had a whole pot of coffee with sugar and creamer and fashioned myself a nice hyper headache.

I know it seems silly, but writing six pages really took it out of me last night. I blame the coffee.

So from 9am to now, currently 1:39pm, I haven't written one fictional word. Instead, I decided to web browse some of my favorite authors and ones that I wish to read. I started with Clive Barker than took a glance at some Anne Rice. Inevitably, I always end at Stephen King. Somehow I was led to his Wikipedia page and stumbled on this article, one that made me do a double take. Maybe this has already been covered by other bloggers, but the news still disturbs me a little.

"On November 19, 2009, while on a promotional tour in Toronto, Canada for his latest novel Under the Dome , during a reading at the Canon Theater being moderated by the filmmaker David Cronenberg, Stephen King described to the audience an idea for a sequel novel to his 1977 novel The Shining . The story, King said, would follow a character from the original novel, Danny Torrance , now in his 40s, living in upstateNew York, where he works as an orderly at a hospice and helps terminally ill patients pass away with the aid of some extraordinary powers. [1]

While on the road, I mentioned two potential projects while I was on the road, one a new Mid-World book (not directly about Roland Deschain, but yes, he and his friend Cuthbert are in it, hunting a skin-man, which are what werewolves are called in that lost kingdom) and a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep. Are you interested in reading either of these? If so, which one turns your dials more? [We] will be counting your votes (and of course it all means nothing if the muse doesn't speak).[2]

On December 31, 2009, it was revealed that Doctor Sleep received 5,861 votes, while The Wind Through the Keyhole received 5,812."


A sequel to The Shining? Why?Is he writing too much? Tell me what you think.



No comments: