Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mover, Shaker, Book-maker

When I first posted the release date of my short story collection, I thought I gave myself enough time. The reality was I gave myself a good amount of time but didn't take into account the actual production of the book.

I consider myself computer-savy, able to learn things quickly. But I gave myself too little time to toy around with the book-making process. There were things that I had to become familiar with first.


What the flip is a PDF? Why does my document look warped when I upload it? How do I make the page numbers appear exactly where I want them? How do you make a wrap-around cover? These were things I would come to toggle with as the days progressed. It's not all that bad. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty neat.

With Lulu, I found a way to not only release my work and make the transition from writer to author, but it also gave me a chance to see what it feels like to be in a publisher's position. They want their product to look and feel professional. That's what I'm going for, too.

But the big announcement of this post is that, since everything is done with the production of the book, it should be released no later than Sept. 18th. Mark that one down on your calender. I'm excited. Hope all of you are.

~R.S.

No comments: