Saturday, January 2, 2010

Two Titan Tasks


In every person's life, there has to be a drive to do something large. But if you don't create an ultimatum for yourself, your dreams may fall short. It's always smart to think big. The country itself was born from big dreams. So, in effort to feed my mind and keep my drive strong, I've set for myself two titan tasks.


Titan Task #1:

One of my favorite authors, A.J. Jacobs, did what some considered impossible. He read the current Encyclopedia Britannica cover to cover, from A to Z. He wrote about his struggle in the hilarious memoir The Know-it-all. So, with time, it can be done. He went on to live the bible as literally as possible in The Year of Living Biblically. He then wrote articles experimenting on himself called The Guinea Pig Diaries. This man is a reading junkie. I admire that in a person. Steve Jobs said in response to the amazon kindle: “Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”

That's why, in effort to know more about the craft of writing and a thirst for more reading material I aim to be THE MAN WHO READ 10,000 BOOKS. If I get to 5,000 I'll be happy. But that's one of my biggest goals for the year. This includes audiobooks, ebooks and paperbacks.














Titan Task #2:

Every dream needs a shove. This year, I plan on hitting the markets and flooding the grid of Chicago with my books. Self-publishing is cool and it does make you work hard to promote yourself, but I crave a contract. I hope to be officially published before the year is up. I aim to be THE MAN WHO PUBLISHED IN 2010.



1 comment:

Elisa said...

Those really are titan tasks! Best of luck to you -- can't wait to find out how it goes. I especially hope Titan Task #2 turns out to be not so titan, and that it is realized before you finish reading 10,000 books!