Thursday, February 17, 2011

A New Segment


Seeing as how this blog is all about books, interviews with writers, movies about writers and the like, I figured I'd try out a new segment on here to give me more things to talk about and to get opinions on the subject.

Whenever I would read a book, I would get a crystal clear vision of how the book would look if it were a movie inside my head. But, as with most cases, the movie compared with the book just doesn't rack up. Whether it was a flaw in the director's plan or the screenwriters I guess we'll never know. But there is one thing we can be sure of: Is the original concept still there?

It takes a lot of guts to think anyone could capture the tone of a novel and translate it to the big screen. But it takes even bigger guts for an author to give them the go ahead to do so. If some big Hollywood types showed up to your house and asked if they could make a movie about your book...would you do it?

Micheal Connelly said that once you take the money, you're allowing them to do anything to your idea, even if the idea is not even a shadow of it's former self. But, publicity is still publicity, isn't it?

When asked what he thought about Hollywood ruining his novel Jumper, Steven Gould pointed to his bookshelf and remarked, "Take a look. They're not ruined. They're still up on the shelves."

We'll find out one way or another while we take a dip into the comparison of book and movie.

The new segment is called: The Adaptation Station.

I have five books lined up right now that I'm in the middle of reading but I am also open to requests.

Any takers???


No comments: