Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The First Rejection


When asked why I didn't just send my stories or novels out to magazines and publishers, I've told people I've thought about it. The truth was I was too tired, too scared, and too shy. But all that changed when I gathered up enough guts to send out 31 book proposals to 31 New York Literary Agents. Soon, I'll send eight of my short stories off to magazines.


The post office said that the envelopes would arrive no later than Tuesday. Well, it's Tuesday and I've recently received my first rejection letter by email. I don't know why but I'm so excited about this. In the same way that a man hasn't worked hard until he's gotten his hands dirty, I have now become a writer who has at least gotten rejected once. Oh well. 30 agents left. We'll see who bites. I feel like framing the letter. Is that weird?



No comments: