Saturday, January 8, 2011

Updates On Progress


Happy to say that this is a post filled with updates on how the writing is coming. Thanks to my brand new writing spot, and a choice selection of psych-up music, I've been writing regularly. Mainly short stories but even that, in my book, is progress. As is with every writer, the longer you stray from the actual work, the more the writing rots or grows stale. But now, back in the rhythm, kicking ass and taking names, I feel re-energized. Here are the updates.

  1. What I'm working on right now: So far, the two short story collections are chugging along. I'm 187 pages into the second collection with about 20 short stories. The third collection isn't too far behind with a whopping 135 pages. But the third one will be significantly heavier, considering there are 25 short stories in that collection. We'll see. Maybe by the end of the month I will be able to finish one of them.
  2. The Next Novel: As for my follow-up novel, I have not written another word of it. It's currently stuck at 40 pages. The problem with this project is that a lot of the research is grounded with the setting. In order to contain the plot-elements, it has to be set in New York. Right now I have to set aside some time when I can go to the library and check out several books on the city. Maybe after I finish one of the collections, I'll come back to it. But something tells me it's going to be a while. So, hold on, readers. It'll get there someday.
  3. The new Podcast: I'm sure you've probably noticed the player to the right of this blog. I'm always trying to find new readers so I've decided to podcast a good chunk of my short stories. Hopefully, this plan will work seeing how we're an iPod, iPad, iEverything nation.
  4. Prison Idea: Lately, I've been getting the itch to write a prison novel. Something with one main character, following his life until the end of his sentence. Now, I've read stories that establish this genre perfectly like Shawshank Redemption. I've also read about half of American Gods, where the main character did a stretch in jail, only to learn that his wife died while he was serving. But something in me wants to write a long, literary novel which encompasses the games, currency and language of prison life from start to finish. I guess I get really curious when I view a common man imprisoned, able to read anything under the sun because that's all you have to pass the time. Plus, considering some of the movies I've seen and books I've read, there's always an argument that prison life doesn't make a criminal sorrier...it just makes them that much smarter. This idea needs more structure but, who knows, I may not even follow an outline.
  5. The Kindle: I've been reading a lot on my kindle lately. It's just so damn addictive. I'm so thrilled that there are thousands of classics for free. We'll see how many I get through by the time the year is up.

That's all for now, readers. Check back often, hope to entertain you soon.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

No comments: