Sunday, March 31, 2013

Amazon Buys Goodreads





So I heard the news that Amazon recently purchased Goodreads for at least $150 million.

Some people are going crazy about this.

They're saying that Amazon is manipulating the market.

Honestly, I don't see such a big deal.

People said the same thing when Google bought YouTube. Everybody got crazy for a while and then it died down.

There's only one thing that might happen that I am not too keen on.

Since Google purchased YouTube, I saw a bump in advertising clips. After a while, it became tedious to watch a 40 second funny cat video when a 2min 30sec advertisement was mandatory. Now, you can skip some ads but it's still a pain in the butt.

I just hope Goodreads isn't littered with ads left and right.

Today, I use Goodreads as a way to promote my books, update my readers and add another book to my reading list. I also use it to log what I'm reading. So far, I've read a total of 434 books and plan to read more.

If Amazon wants a slice of social marketing then I think they are playing it smart. 

What do you think?




No comments: