Thursday, October 6, 2011

Graveyard School


Now that Camp Zombie is out of the way, I can tell you about another little series I got involved in: The Graveyard School Books.



These revolved around a fictional town of Grove Hill. The books lasted from 1994 to 1999. While I considered them books, they were technically defined as novellas because they were so short. They were shorter than the Goosebumps series. But there was a difference. Big difference. Characters ate eyeballs, corpses and coffins rose up out of the floor of the boy's bathroom like something out of the movie Poltergeist. I mean, this was some hardcore stuff.



Across from the school sits an abandoned cemetery...which isn't much of a stretch. Proviso West, the high school I attended, was just a street away from the cemetery. You could see it right when you walked out of the main entrance.



All totaled, the series lasts about 28 books. I've read Don't Eat The Mystery meat #1, Slime Lake #7, Let's scare The Teacher to Death #8 and There's a Ghost in The Boy's Bathroom #10. The others were just a little bit too goofy for my taste. That seems to be a theme of YA Horror; somehow it always turns to humor rather than horror.

No comments: