Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gerald's Game

Well, we had to come to it eventually. So let's talk about Gerald's Game. I read this during college, when I foolishly thought I could take some air conditioning classes. The tests were tough and my brain was getting crammed. In between, the breaks in class, before the period would start, I'd thumb through the pages of this book.

The setup is simple. During a sex game gone awry, a wife accidentally kills her husband by kicking him. This induces a heart attack and the wife is handcuffed to the bed post.

It really is a freakish read. One that I devoured at the time but felt void of any lasting message. It's just brutal and incredibly long. At the time I thought there would be an amazing and startling revelation but one never came.

King doesn't do it often but sometimes I'll come across duds from some of my favorite authors. Along with Cell, this has to be the number one book I was disappointed in while attending college.

No comments: