Saturday, October 22, 2011

Night Shift

Okay, so I know were back to King books again but this time I'm taking you through the short story collections in the order I read them. If there is one thing I can count on with King, it's that he could weave a good yarn big or small.

The first collection I was ever introduced to was Night Shift. On a whim I picked up an audio book of it and would listen to it in my car at 2am before I would head into work as a preloader for a shipping company an hour later. If anything, these stories kept me awake with their atmosphere as well as the bone-chilling situations. Here are some of my favorites.


The Mangler - a terrifying story about a laundry machine that will mangle you if you get too close. Seems to have a life of its own.

The Boogeyman - a troubled man meets with a psychiatrist to discuss his past of nighlty visits by what he calls the boogeyman. A really nice twist at the end.

The Lawnmower Man - a man has a run in with a weird human-like being that manipulates lawnmowers with his mind. Oddly enough, this was the basis for the movie The Lawnmower Man starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan. However, King so disliked the outcome that he sued the filmmakers for changing his work that bared "no meaningful resemblance." Good story, very weird.

Quitters, Inc. - One man tries to come to grips with quitting his smoking habit. So he hires a company that does it for him. But the company is more than just a healthy reminder, they are stealthy and all the way extreme. Quitting might be the least of his troubles.



No comments: